Music Man Luke 3 BFR Black Burst Flame HSS
The co-operation between Steve Lukather and Ernie Ball Music Man started in the late 1990s after Valley Arts (previously endorsed by Steve) has been sold to Samcik and the quality degraded. Luke 3 is the newest incarnation of Lukather's signature model, with a slightly bigger body and neck, DiMarzio Transition pickups and the same, undeniable EBMM build quality.
BFR stands for Ball Family Reserve and is different from the stock version by using mahogany block in the alder body for beefier response balanced by the body's maple top. From our own personal experience it is way more resonant than regular version, and has long sustain. This particular guitar is in great visual condition and is technically perfect. Overall, it is focused in midrange frequencies instead of bell-like stratocaster sound. Still, it retains clarity and single coils punch in first positions and has a dominant rock character in the bridge humbucker. It's really easy to get Luke's tones out of it. But do you dare to?
- Body Wood: Alder with bookmatched maple top and mahogany Tone Block
- Body Finish: High gloss polyester
- Body Color: Black Burst Flame
- Scale Length: 25.5"
- Neck Radius: 12"
- Frets: 22 - Low profile, wide
- Neck Width 1-5/8" (41.3 mm) at nut, 2-3/16" (55.6 mm) at last fret
- Neck Wood: Figured roasted maple neck
- Fingerboard: Rosewood
- Fret Markers: Pearl dots
- Neck Finish: Gunstock oil and hand-rubbed special wax blend
- Tuning Machines: Schaller M6-IND locking
- Controls: Custom Music Man® active preamp; push/push volume for gain boost, 500kohm passive tone - .022µF tone capacitor
- Switching: 5-way lever pickup selector
- Pickups: HSS with 1 DiMarzio Transition humbucking; 2 DiMarzio custom single coil
- Strings 9-42
- Hard case: yes
- Case candies: yes